Season’s Greetings Golfers,
You may already have heard the latest update from Golf Ireland regarding what we can and can’t do to play golf. Guidance that we received late this afternoon! I thought only the Department of Education did things like this! As usual there seems little logic in the planning or implementation of this guidance, but it is what it is. Council, and in particular, Damian and Conor, are trying to put the guidance into practice in a way that maximises the participation in the game. It will mean big changes in how we book and play but, needs must! Once again, I find myself asking members for their co-operation and understanding in this matter.
As members have already made bookings for this weekend we have decided to put the following into action….
1. Weekend golf bookings will not change but when 4balls arrive at the club they will be split into 2 x 2balls with one going off the front and the other going off the back 9.
2. We will try to accommodate 3balls as best as possible but understand this will be very difficult. We ask members to try to accommodate this themselves before arrival. E.g. if you know of 2 x 3balls planning to play, perhaps they could arrange to split up into 3 x 2balls.
3. Competition will be over 9 holes.
4. Winter League is initially postponed but in all likelihood it may be cancelled.
5. Timesheets for the following week will be rearranged asap to enable 2ball play at 8 minute intervals.
I know this is a bit of a mess but it’s the best we can do to ensure we continue to play. I suppose we should try to see the bigger picture, hard as this may be on Christmas Eve night, and thank God that we have our health.
May I finish by paraphrasing Robert Louis Stevenson’s Christmas poem.
Help us remember the birth of Jesus, that we may share in the song of the angels, the gladness of the shepherds, and worship of the wise men.
May the Christmas morning make us happy to be thy children, and Christmas evening bring us to our beds with grateful thoughts, forgiving and forgiven, for Jesus' sake.
Let’s focus on what’s really important and have a peaceful, safe, happy Christmas. Hopefully see you all in the new year!